- 3 green tomatoes
- salt and freshly ground black pepper
- ⅓ cup flour
- 2 eggs
- ½ cup buttermilk
- 1 cup panko breadcrumbs
- 1 cup cornmeal
- fresh thyme sprigs or chopped fresh chives
Simple Living Products air fryer
- Sriracha Mayo:
- ½ cup mayonnaise
- 1 to 2 tablespoons sriracha hot sauce
- 1 tablespoon milk
- Cut the tomatoes in ¼-inch slices. Pat them dry with a clean kitchen towel and season generously with salt and pepper.
- Set up a dredging station using three shallow dishes. Place the flour in the first shallow dish, combine the eggs and buttermilk in the second dish, and combine the flour and cornmeal in the third dish.
- Pre-heat the air fryer to 400ºF.
- Dredge the tomato slices in flour to coat on both sides. Then dip them into the egg mixture and finally press them into the breadcrumbs to coat all sides of the tomato.
- Spray or brush the air-fryer basket with olive oil. Transfer 3 to 4 tomato slices into the basket and spray the top with olive oil. Air-fry the tomatoes at 400ºF for 8 minutes. Flip them over, spray the other side with oil and air-fry for an additional 4 minutes until golden brown.
- While the tomatoes are cooking, make the sriracha mayo. Combine the mayonnaise, 1 tablespoon of the sriracha hot sauce and milk in a small bowl. Stir well until the mixture is smooth. Add more sriracha sauce to taste.
- When the tomatoes are done, transfer them to a cooling rack or a platter lined with paper towels so the bottom does not get soggy. Before serving, carefully stack the all the tomatoes into air fryer and air-fry at 350°F for 1 to 2 minutes to heat them back up.
- Serve the fried green tomatoes hot with the sriracha mayo on the side. Season one last time with salt and freshly ground black pepper and garnish with sprigs of fresh thyme or chopped fresh chives.
Source :- meredithlaurence.com